December 20, 2013
Newsletter (July 11, 2012)
Having trouble viewing this newsletter in email? View online here.If you believe
… then you need to know something and be prepared to act:
- global warming is cyclical and mostly natural;
- human contribution is minor and not dangerous; and
- attempting to prevent human influence by cuts in carbon-dioxide emissions would cost trillions of dollars, trap billions of people in developing countries in poverty, and so do more harm than good …
President Barack Obama has said that
“the most important policy he could address in his second term is climate change.”
That should send shivers down your spine. “Climate change”—what proponents called “global warming” till the globe stopped warming 17 years ago—has become the mother of all excuses for spending trillions of dollars, killing millions of jobs, trapping billions of people in poor countries in poverty, expanding government’s control over our lives, and creating distant, unaccountable, global government.
As University of East Anglia Professor of Climate Change and Marxist/socialist Mike Hulme put it in his book Why We Disagree about Climate Change:
The function of climate change I suggest, is not as a lower-case environmental phenomenon to be solved…It really is not about stopping climate chaos. Instead, we need to see how we can use the idea of climate change—the matrix of ecological functions, power relationships, cultural discourses and materials flows that climate change reveals—to rethink how we take forward our political, social, economic and personal projects over the decades to come. …No wonder when I attended the United Nations climate summit in Copenhagen in 2009, the most common sign I saw carried by the 40,000-plus protesters in the streets (of whom the two largest groups were the International Socialist Youth Movement and the Community Party) said, “System change, not climate change”—i.e., give us global socialism, not global free markets!
… climate change has become an idea that now travels well beyond its origins in the natural sciences …. climate change takes on new meanings and serves new purposes … climate change has become “the mother of all issues”, the key narrative within which all environmental politics—from global to local—is now framed …. Rather than asking “how do we solve climate change?” we need to turn the question around and ask: “how does the idea of climate change alter the way we arrive at and achieve our personal aspirations …?”
Having failed to get cap and trade through Congress, Obama, true to his observation that “there’s more than one way to skin a cat,” had his Environmental Protection Agency act to impose Draconian measures on us by first “finding” that CO2—a natural compound essential life, expelled with every breath—is a “dangerous pollutant” because it causes global warming, and then imposing restrictions on its emissions, first from vehicles, then from stationary sources like electric power plants. Though not ruling on the scientific merits of EPA’s climate alarmism, the nation’s courts have so far rejected legal challenges to EPA’s actions.
The result, if such policies are not reversed by Congress, will be trillions of dollars in lost economic production and millions of lost jobs in the next two decades, and much sooner the skyrocketing electricity prices Obama promised during his campaign, and consequently rising prices for everything produced and transported using electricity—which is just about everything.
Last month, in a three-part series, “Evangelicals and Climate Change” (June 12, June 20, and June 27), the Christian Post identified the Cornwall Alliance as the leading voice for evangelicals who reject climate alarmism and strive to protect the world’s poor from harmful, and futile, efforts to fight global warming.
The Post cited our Evangelical Declaration on Global Warming, endorsed by hundreds of evangelical scientists, economists, theologians, and other leaders and based on our landmark study, A Renewed Call to Truth, Prudence, and Protection of the Poor: An Evangelical Examination of the Theology, Science, and Economics of Global Warming, as representing not only Cornwall’s thought but also that of the Southern Baptist Convention, America’s largest evangelical denomination.
But we face an uphill battle. Climate alarmism has powerful, well-funded voices seeking to influence the evangelical community.
As you can see, the Cornwall Alliance produces outstanding resources to counter climate alarmism and other environmental hype. But we can only continue to do this with continued financial support from friends like you.
- The Evangelical Climate Initiative, launched with a $475,000 grant from population control-advocating Hewlett Foundation, continues to present its alarmist view as the dominant evangelical position—despite the Cornwall Alliance’s having refuted its science and economics point-by-point in A Call to Truth, Prudence, and Protection of the Poor: An Evangelical Response to Global Warming.
- The Evangelical Environmental Network, heavily funded by the population control-advocating Rockefeller Brothers Fund, has equated support for CO2 emission restrictions with being “pro-life,” obscuring the meaning of “pro-life,” threatening to divide the pro-life vote, and risking leaving Congress in control of pro-abortion forces for decades to come—despite the Cornwall Alliance’s having produced Protecting the Unborn and the Pro-Life Movement from a Misleading Environmentalist Tactic: A Joint Statement by Pro-Life Leaders, repudiating EEN’s similar claim with regard to mercury emissions.
- Former National Association of Evangelicals Vice President for Government Affairs Richard Cizik (who lost his job when he advocated same-sex unions), with major financial assistance from billionaire Left-wing media mogul and population-control advocate Ted Turner’s United Nations Foundation and billionaire Left-wing globalist George Soros continues promotes government family planning programs as both “godly and green” ways to fight global warming.
- Socialist Jim Wallis’s Sojourners, also with heavy funding from Soros, this year hired a director of climate change campaigns to enlarge its influence.
We’ve just launched the most exciting project in our history, one with tremendous potential—In His Image 2012
—to educate evangelicals all over America and the world about the integrally related threats posed by Darwinism, the sexual revolution, and the Green movement to the sanctity of human life; the dignity of human sexuality, marriage and the family; and the God-given mandate for human beings to exercise godly dominion over the Earth.
So I want to invite you to become one of a small, special group of people—a new “Gideon’s Army,” so to speak—willing to generously donate $28 per month for our “In His Image 2012” campaign.
Just 300 people contributing a tax-deductible gift of $28 per month will provide the budget to help us:
- Reach over 500 churches in 10 states, and conduct special pastors’ briefings, beginning with a few states and, God willing, spreading nationwide.
- Educate political leaders in our nation’s capital and state legislatures.
- Reach out to over 2,500 reporters and producers in the mainstream and Christian media.
- Provide study guides and materials to teachers, students, and laymen in select states about the grave dangers of the Green radical environmental agenda, and the blessings of genuinely Biblical Earth stewardship.
- Begin to develop an evangelism program based on Genesis 1:27-28 which uses environmental issues as a platform for the Gospel, and shows how true image-bearing can only occur through a relationship with the perfect Image of God, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Will you stand with us in this critical battle?
Please click here to sign up for an automatic tax-deductible donation of just $28 per month, or whatever you can afford, to help us defend and promote these foundational Biblical truths.
And please make sure to indicate a monthly contribution on the form
to maximize your support!
Scripture for the WeekGenesis 17: 5–6 & 15–16 (ESV)
No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham, for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make you into nations, and kings shall come from you. And God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. I will bless her, and moreover, I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall become nations; kings of peoples shall come from her.”
Resisting the Green Dragon
More and more churches and other groups are using Cornwall Alliance’s groundbreaking 13-part video series around the country. With its printable discussion guide, it provides full curriculum for a Sunday school quarter. The accompanying book helps teachers and others dig deeper.
Join Cornwall Alliance Facebook Group Page
To keep up with relevant developments, join Cornwall Alliance’s Facebook Group
page, where we and group members will post and discuss items daily.
Landmark Documents from the Cornwall Alliance
E. Calvin Beisner, Ph.D., Founder and National Spokesman
Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation
Information in this newsletter is for scholarly and educational use only and may not be copied or reproduced for any other purposes without prior permission of the copyright holders.